PSAS - Specific Topics (OC)
Examine the application of complex areas in the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Standards Handbook (PSAS). This live virtual session will be delivered as a two-segment session. (Dec 2, 8:30 am- 12:00 pm and Dec 3, 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm)
The workshop examines the application of complex areas in the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Standards Handbook (PSAS). Following a brief refresher on some of the more recent standards and changes to come, including Asset Retirement Obligations, participants will learn strategies for translating general standards to the real world. The workshop explores common areas of complexity that appear frequently in practice that raise discussions between finance professionals and auditors using mini-case studies, shorter collaborative discussion exercises, and real-world examples.
Using several case studies, most of the participant effort in the course will be applying the PSAS Handbook to the common controversial areas in practice via discussion in small groups and with the instructor. Participants will be able to summarize the new and pending PSAS standards, and key COVID-19 financial reporting considerations.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Preparers of public sector financial statements (CFO, Director of Finance or Managers), auditors of public sector financial statements (Partners, Senior Managers, or Managers), and board members of public sector entities.
Participants of the course will:
- gain strong knowledge of general PSAS concepts and an understanding of the PSAS Handbook for researching complexities of real-life situations,
- improve general understanding of some of the more complex areas of the PSAS Handbook to allow participants to engage in more meaningful discussion and analysis when such issues in these specific areas arise in their work,
- learn of significant changes coming to the PSAS Handbook so participants can plan for these changes on a timely basis, and
- gain awareness of the implications COVID-19 can have on a public sector entity’s financial reporting.
- Understand what’s new in the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Standards Handbook (PSAS) including private/public partnerships, the general revenue standard and financial instruments.
- A brief overview of all current projects underway is provided.
- PSAS COVID-19 financial reporting considerations.
- Asset retirement obligations and contaminated sites.
- Government transfers, including issues and differences in application.
- Controlled entities, including specific examples of different situations and relationships.
- Leased tangible capital assets, with government as a lessee and a lessor.
- Financial instruments and hedging, including the impact of the Statement of Re-measurement Gains and Losses.
- Common issues for local and senior governments
PSAS – Review of the Standards or a general working knowledge of existing Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS).
COURSE LEADER: BRADLEY KEEFE, CPA, CA
Registration not available.