Personal Tax - Review of Tax Planning (OC)
A “refresher” overview of tax issues relating to personal taxpayers. It is best suited for participants who work with individual taxpayers who want to revisit and update their understanding of the personal tax legislation that may have been forgotten or require additional insight as to the application of the legislation. This live virtual session will be delivered in two days (Jan 27 & 28, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm each day).
The seminar is being offered to provide a “refresher” overview of tax issues relating to personal taxpayers. It is best suited for participants who work with individual taxpayers who want to revisit and update their understanding of the personal tax legislation that may have been forgotten or require additional insight as to the application of the legislation.
Although the prospect of an extended seminar may sound taxing, this seminar definitely provides great bang for your buck. The seminar targets professionals who desire to update and refresh their knowledge in technical and tax-planning issues for individuals, trusts, and partnerships. Although the seminar briefly reviews taxation for trust and partnerships, most of its content focuses primarily on the taxation of individuals.
The seminar provides and explains detailed reference materials spanning a broad range of income tax topics that will serve as an invaluable reference in the future. In addition to the seminar leader’s presentation of material, you will work through case studies covering a wide range of personal tax issues, collaborate with your peers, and share issues impacting your clients.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Those involved in personal tax matters who wish to expand or refresh their knowledge of personal tax.
At the end of the seminar, you will understand:
- personal tax issues and learn how to research the issues,
- calculate personal taxable income,
- evaluate Individual tax planning opportunities,
- understand the taxation of trusts, and
- explain taxation of partnership income.
- How To Research A Tax Issue
- Determination of Residency
- Liability for Taxes In Canada
- Administrative Issues
- Employment Income
- Benefits and Related Deductions
- Calculations of The Various Sources of Investments Income
- Taxation of Capital Gains
- Capital Losses and The Impact of The Stop Loss Rules
- Allowable Business Investment Losses
- Attributions Rules
- Registered Retirement Pension Plans
- Individual Pension Plans
- Deferred Plans Such As TFSA, RESP and RDSP
- Rental and Farm Income Treatment of Shareholder Loans
- Various Deductions from Net Income Such as The Capital Gains Exemption
- Calculation of Taxes Payable, Including Discussions on Tax Credits
- Taxation of Partnerships
- Death of A Taxpayer
- Taxation of Family Trusts
Please note, this seminar DOES NOT review the detailed preparation of a personal tax return.
Personal Tax - Tax Return Updates, Compliance, and Planning, or equivalent working experience in preparing personal tax returns and planning for clients.
COURSE LEADER: HUGH NEILSON, FCPA, FCA, TEP