Power Query-Automated, Consistent Data, Time after Time (OC)
Spend hours collating data, searching for errors, cleaning it up, performing look ups, copy pasting and then repeating those steps the following week or month? Power Query is a revolutionary product, embedded in Microsoft Excel, and targeted at eliminating all those manual steps from our data sourcing. This live virtual session will be delivered as a two-segment session (Dec 20 & 21, 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm each day).
Modern data science and analysis techniques allow us to do incredible things with our data. But we often forget and underestimate the amount of time we spend sourcing and preparing our data for use in our models. The phrase garbage in, garbage out reminds us of the importance of clean, reliable, consistent data coming into our models. The problem is, we spend hours collating data, searching for errors, cleaning it up, performing look ups, copy pasting and then repeating those steps the following week or month.
Power Query is a revolutionary product, embedded in Microsoft Excel, and targeted at eliminating all those manual steps from our data sourcing. Power Query will save you hours of time and allow you to focus on the value add of analysis.
This is a hands-on workshop built around several applied case studies.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Regular and proficient users of Microsoft Excel, those handling and manipulating data on a regular basis, and especially those repeating those manipulations on a regular basis.
At the end of this course the participant should be able to:
- understand the importance of consistency and quality of data,
- import data from different sources, including csv, Excel, and web,
- define automated steps to manipulate, slice, dice, filter, create, merge, and dissect data to create clean, error free data sources, and
- make Power BI, a world leading and powerful Business Intelligence platform, more accessible using Power Query to import data into Power BI.
- Normalization of Data-What does good data look like?
- Importing Data-From files, tables or folders
- Filtering-Reducing data size to what's necessary
- Transforming Data-Changing Types, format, and creating newdata
- Joining Data-Eliminate lookups forever
- Dealing with Errors-eliminate costly errors from your data
Attendees should be comfortable using pivot tables, and advanced formulas in Excel such as index – match, sumproduct and nested formulas.
This hands-on workshop is built around several applied case studies.
COURSE LEADER: SEBASTIAN TAYLOR, BSc /JOSEPH YEATES, BBA