ASNFPO - Review of the Standards (VO)
Review the application of Accounting Standards for Not-For-Profit Organizations (ASNFPO) Part III of the CPA Canada Handbook and the relevant sections of ASPE Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE) Part II of the CPA Canada Handbook with an emphasis on areas where choice exists.
Watch a qualified CPA instructor teaching the course and access a copy of the same course material that is provided to attendees of an in-person session.
After registering for a Video on Demand course, CPA Saskatchewan will send you information on how to access the course within 2 business days.
Click HERE for more information on Video-On-Demand courses.
Participants will review the application of accounting standards, with an emphasis on areas where choice exists, that are found in Part III of the CPA Canada Handbook. These standards were drafted with the underlying premise that where transactions and circumstances are the same, there should be no difference in accounting from for-profit entities. As a result, participants will also review and analyze relevant sections of Part II of the CPA Canada Handbook, Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE). Participants will learn what choices are available when setting policies, the impacts on disclosure, and participate in activities and exercises to strengthen the knowledge gains throughout this course.
NOTE: Government-controlled NFPOs must follow the Public Sector Accounting Handbook, which will not be addressed in this seminar.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Professionals at all levels involved in the preparation and review of NFPO financial statements under ASNFPO.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- identify and analyze accounting issues specific to NPOs,
- identify and explain where policy choices exist and their impacts on the organization,
- determine significant issues in which disclosure is required,
- determine which handbook and standard is relevant in a variety of circumstances, and
- interpret facts and scenarios to determine the appropriate accounting treatment for an organization.
- Determination of an appropriate accounting framework for an entity
- Financial Statement Concepts
- Contributions – Revenue Recognition
- Contributions Receivable
- Employee Future Benefits
- Financial Instruments
- Long Lived Assets
- Reporting Controlled and Related Entities
- COVID-19 considerations and Handbook standards to consider
- Allocated Expenses
- Ongoing projects and potential impact of changes
Familiarity with the CPA Handbook – Accounting, Part III Accounting Standards for Not-For-Profit Organizations (ASNFPO)