ASPE - Real Estate Industry (VO)
Real estate entities have unique financial reporting issues under the Accounting Standards for Private Enterprise (ASPE). The course uses exercises and examples to illustrate these issues to provide practical advice for CPAs in the real estate industry or serving clients in the real estate industry.
Watch a qualified CPA instructor teaching the course and access a copy of the same course material that is provided to attendees of an in-person session.
After registering for a Video on Demand course, CPA Saskatchewan will send you information on how to access the course within 2 business days.
Click HERE for more information on Video-On-Demand courses.
The seminar reviews the ASPE standards relevant to the real estate industry, as applicable to both developers and those with income-producing properties, using industry guidance available from the Real Property Association of Canada (REALpac). Additionally, participants will discuss the unique accounting issues encountered by builders, developers, and landlords that have direct or indirect ownership in real estate.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Professionals involved in the preparation of private enterprise financial statements for real estate companies and practitioners who serve private clients in the real estate industry.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- recognize choices available in accounting for real estate entities and the impact of such choices,
- identify what costs should be capitalized for properties under development,
- recognize revenue on real estate properties for sale,
- recognize revenue from rental properties, and
- draft financial statement note disclosures for a real estate company.
- Accounting for real estate development costs
- Accounting for construction of rental properties
- Interest capitalization and accounting for transaction and financing fees
- Accounting for holdbacks
- Revenue recognition on sale of real estate
- Revenue recognition from rental properties
- Impairment of real estate properties
- Contract modifications and claims
- Determination of cost of sales for properties sold
Participants should be familiar with the CPA Handbook – Accounting, Part II - Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE).