GST/HST - Fundamentals (VO)
Understand the who, what and when for GST/HST, Canada’s federal sales tax, including the significance of three different types of supplies and place of supply rules.
Watch a qualified CPA instructor teaching the course and access a copy of the same course material that is provided to attendees of an in-person session.
After registering for a Video on Demand course, CPA Saskatchewan will send you information on how to access the course within 2 business days.
Click HERE for more information on Video-On-Demand courses.
The course provides an overview of Canada’s federal sales tax relevant for accountants working with
clients or in industry. The who, what and when for GST commences with a review of the three different
types of supplies and their significance. The GST and HST place of supply rules are presented in detail
with lots of examples because their misinterpretation often creates significant exposures for suppliers
located in both non-HST and HST provinces.
Also reviewed are registration, collection requirements, who pays tax, input tax credit entitlements and
some cross border issues. The material highlights common sources of errors and assessments frequently
discovered during a GST/HST audit or a review of a client’s books and records.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
CPAs and students, practitioners to accountants in business/industry and other advisors who want to
obtain a greater understanding of the federal sales tax system in Canada. It will also be beneficial to
those who deal with the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) on a daily
basis or those who would like a refresher and update of trending issues.
Participants will be able to:
- describe how the GST works,
- determine the tax rate applicable on a taxable supply made in Canada,
- describe the importance of the recovery rules that are required to be met before claiming an input tax credit,
- describe and list the input tax credit restrictions and limitations,
- explain issues and exposures related to the importation and exportation of taxable supplies, and
- identify and reduce other typical common audit exposures.
- GST/HST Basics
- Who pays GST/HST?
- Collecting GST/HST
- GST place-of-supply rules
- HST place-of-supply rules
- Other collection issues
- Import issues
- Export issues
- General recovery rules
- Temporary large business restrictions
- Employee reimbursements and allowances
- Reporting net tax overview
- Compliance issue overview
A solid understanding of accounting and bookkeeping principles.
Online registration not available.