PSAS - Review of the Standards (VO)
Learn the key fundamental PSAS concepts within the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Standards Handbook.
Watch a qualified CPA instructor teaching the course and access a copy of the same course material that is provided to attendees of an in-person session.
After registering for a Video on Demand course, CPA Saskatchewan will send you information on how to access the course within 2 business days.
Click HERE for more information on Video-On-Demand courses.
The workshop focuses on general PSAS concepts, the structure of the PSAS Handbook, and differences between PSAS and those of ASPE or IFRS. The comparison of PSAS concepts with those in ASPE or IFRS allow attendees to understand new ideas based on their background knowledge, thus enhancing learning potential. Although the session involves lectures, the workshop occurs in modules that link relevant concepts together through collaborative learning, industry examples, and small case studies.
Given a module-based format, participants will learn the key fundamental PSAS concepts within the Handbook. With the use of some mini cases and examples, participants will practice applying the PSAS concepts to specific examples via group discussion. Participants will be able explain the PSAS reporting framework and how PSAS differs from ASPE and IFRS. Participants will also be able to summarize the new and pending PSAS standards, and COVID-19 financial reporting considerations.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Preparers of public sector financial statements (CFO, Director of Finance or Managers), auditors of public sector financial statements (Partners, Senior Managers, or Managers), and board members of public sector entities.
Participants attending the workshop will:
- leave with a strong knowledge of general PSAS and an understanding of the PSAS for researching complexities of real-life situations,
- understand the objectives of public sector accounting standards and what makes these standards different from APSE or IFRS,
- be aware of significant changes expected to the standards, and
- understand the implications COVID-19 can have on a public sector entity’s financial reporting.
- Introduction to PSAS and the Conceptual framework/reporting model
- Government reporting entities and accounting for controlled entities
- PSAS revenue standards
- PSAS asset retirement obligations and liability for contaminated sites standards
- Financial instruments and re-measurement gains/losses
- Tangible capital assets and impairment
- Pensions, employee future benefits, and PSAB projects
- Loans receivables and loan guarantees
- Contractual rights and obligations
- Related party and inter-entity transactions
- Restructuring transactions
- PSAS Handbook structure, including GAAP hierarchy, public sector guidelines, and SORPs
- PSAS COVID-19 financial reporting considerations.
Participants should bring financial statements from the organizations they work at (if appropriate) to use as reference for the examples throughout the course.
General working knowledge of ASPE and/or IFRS. Some knowledge of the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Standards Handbook is ideal but not required