The two-day refresher seminar in corporate tax is designed for those who desire to update and refresh their knowledge in both technical and tax planning issues for corporations. Although the corporation taxation for public and private corporations is reviewed, the primary focus is on the taxation of private companies. The detailed reference materials that cover a broad range of corporate income tax topics are valuable reference material. In addition to the presentation of the material by the seminar leader, participants will work through case studies covering a wide range of corporate tax issues, collaborate with their peers and have an opportunity to share issues that have been impacting their clients.
The course is a “refresher” overview of tax issues relating to corporate tax payers. It is best suited for participants who need to revisit and update their understanding of the corporate tax legislation that may have been forgotten and/or that they may require additional insight as to the application of the legislation.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Individuals involved in corporate tax matters for private corporations that desire to expand or refresh their knowledge of corporate tax.
Participants will develop a stronger understanding of:
- Organization of the Tax Act as it relates to corporations
- Determination of residency
- Various income items and deductions not commonly seen
- Calculation of corporate taxes
- Common definitions under the Income Tax Act that impact a corporate taxpayer including:
- related parties, affiliated parties, and associated corporations
- Various sources of income including:
- active business income, investment income, specified investment business and personal service businesses
- Commonly used corporate reorganization provisions:
- The use of the Section 85 rollover, Section 86 capital reorganization, Section 87 amalgamation, and Section 88 wind-up
- Section 84.1 and section 55(2) anti avoidance provisions
- Corporate Attribution
- Loss utilization
- Owner manager remuneration planning
- Estate planning
- Issues for buy sell agreements and purchase and sale of business
- Acquisition of control
- Debt forgiveness
Corporate Tax – Compliance and Planning in T2 Preparation, or equivalent working experience with the preparation of corporate tax returns and some tax planning experience.
|| Estimated CPD Hours: Total - 14