Organizations in the not-for-profit sector are developing new operational models that are increasing in complexity and an increasing need by financial statement users for transparency and comprehensive information. The seminar will discuss the application of accounting standards, with an emphasis on areas where choice exists, that are found in the CPA Handbook - Part III Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations (ASNFPO) and relevant sections of Part II Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE). Participants will learn what choices are available when setting policies, the impacts on disclosure, and how to determine the appropriate accounting treatment for an organization given different facts and scenarios.
The course will serve as a review and refresher of the application of ASNFPO as well as the most common ASPE standard applicable to not-for-profit organizations. Participants will learn what choices are available when setting policies, the impacts on disclosure, and participate in activities and exercises to strengthen the knowledge gained throughout this course.
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
Professionals at all levels involved in the preparation and review of NFPO financial statements. Government-controlled NFPOs must follow the Public Sector Accounting Standards that will not be addressed in this seminar.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and analyze accounting issues specific to NPOs
- Identify and explain where policy choices exist and their impacts on the organization
- Determine significant issues in which disclosure is required
- Determine which handbook and standard is relevant in a variety of circumstances
- Interpret facts and scenarios to determine the appropriate accounting treatment for an organization
Participants should be familiar with the CPA Handbook – Accounting Part III.
|| Estimated CPD Hours: Total 7 Licensing - 7
|| Financial Reporting